Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Disasters

So, as Gram was nice enough to point out to me today, apparently, a ferry sank or capsized or both off the coast of Dumai a couple days ago.  It was coming from Malaysia, or right around there, heading to Dumai, and was carrying more than its designated load of people in bad weather.  I read that most everyone was rescued, but at least 30 are dead and another 15 or so missing.  No one we know, of course, because we don't know anyone, but still it is really sad to think that something this drastic could happen so close...

Although, come to think of it, apparently drastic things happen near wherever we are in the world.  Think back to 2008, we just arrived in China, and bam, massive earthquake strikes in Sichuan, killing 700+.  Fast forward to Dushanzi, I had only been there 2 weeks when yet again, disaster strikes Urumqi and rioting locals kill 200+.  I can't really think of anything disastrous that happened when we were in Germany, but it's possible.  Maybe Matt and I are just bad luck.  Tragedy follows us, but sidesteps our exact location.  Thankfully.  Probably these things happen all the time, all over the world, but I only notice them when they're in my backyard... and with as many backyards as we have, trouble is bound to find us again.  Lucky for us we haven't been directly affected by any of these happenings, knock on wood.  Needless to say, we probably won't be tempting fate on this one and will leave the ferry trips out of our plans.  

On another note, I finally got a hold of the teacher who runs the "Grand English Course" here, or rather, he hunted me down at the hotel.  Matt had a half day today (thank you, Lord for small miracles) and he will be accompanying me - possibly against his will - to "teach" this afternoon.  From what Mr. Muchsin told me, his students just need someone to practice English with.  "Just to get comfortable with the speaking"... wait, I think I've heard this one before.  Who knows, this could be another opening for a teaching job for me for the next couple weeks.  In any case, if all goes well today - I'll even settle for not terrible - I'll surely return to the class for lack of anything else to do.  I'll keep you posted.  

No comments:

Post a Comment