Saturday, May 8, 2010

Pop Quiz

Today is Saturday, which can only mean one thing: it's our two week Finland anniversary!  In celebration, I thought I would do a little pop quiz... because we all know we need more of those in our lives.  

The following statements are either True or False.  Please circle the T if you believe the statement to be True, or the F if you believe the statement is False.  

1.  Matt has started working.  T/F

2.  Matt will never start working.  T/F

3. We visited the zoo and saw lots of animals.  T/F

4. The lynx had a big problem with Matt. T/F

5.  Lynx (plural) can smell fear.  T/F

Answers: 1. False.  Matt has not, and will probably never start working here.  I'm of the opinion that we will be here for the remainder of our lives.  We'll get an apartment, but nothing too fancy because of the cost.  We will also lose 20 pounds of fat and muscle due to the lack of nutrients we are receiving in our daily meals because we can't afford to eat anything besides fast food and pasta.  (On a related note, I think I've discovered why everyone here is so skinny.)
2. I think we've established that the answer to number 2 is most decidedly True.  He is starting to feel like a bum.  If I could only leave him alone for a few days, then he would really know what roadwifery is all about.  
3.  True.  We did go to the zoo.  The answer to 4 is also True.  The lynx was pacing around behind the flimsy wire fence giving Matt the evil eye.  Every time he tried to move, the lynx jumped in the same direction.  
5. I actually don't know if lynx can smell fear, but it seems like a logical explanation for the aforementioned events.  

The Helsinki zoo is a pretty good one, all things considered.  It's on an island just outside of the city center, and it's really cold and windy there, but it has some nice displays.  Much better than a Chinese zoo.  You can get really close to the cages, and lots of them, like the big cats and the bears, have glass barriers so you can stand right next to them. 
 
Black bear.  False.  It's something else.  Grizzly or Brown.  Or Panda.

The reindeer seems like a funny animal for a zoo, especially one in Finland because they eat reindeer here... mostly just those northerners, though.  We all know how crazy northerners can be.  I had a reindeer salad when we first got in, and I must say, it was pretty tasty.  Matt said it tastes like "steak-sandwich steak", but I wouldn't know anything about that, having never had a steak sandwich.  
 
Reindeer.  I ate you.
Zoo bird

 
All in all, everything is fine here.  We have been doing almost nothing this whole week. We actually went to the zoo last week, and I wasn't even going to blog about it, thinking it not very noteworthy at the time, but in my present state it seems like all I've got.  Everything for Matt's work has been going on a day to day basis, so we haven't really been able to leave the city in case he gets called in.  My biggest regret is that we didn't get our Russian visas as soon as we got here.  Apparently it takes a couple days to get them, and we thought we wouldn't have time.  Ahh, hindsight is 20/20.  Not to worry - we'll probably get sent there some day.  

In other news, we started a puzzle.  It is extremely hard and I keep giving up on it, only to come back later when I realize I have nothing else to do because it's too cold to go outside.  I have seen the "Incredible India" commercial on CNN a total of 8 times this morning.  I think it's a sign.  


No comments:

Post a Comment