Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Blue Christmas

Ahh, Christmas in India... you can't beat it.  Instead of writing out a long and drawn out post about how amazing our Barodian Christmas was, I will instead let you go on a visual journey through pictures.

We started our day out by the pool playing frisbee and catching rays:

 

 
Matt likes to leap unnecessarily to show off his skill.   

 
And then later he pays for his hubris.  

Later, we played Monopoly and several rounds of Taboo:  
 

All around us, the hotel staff was setting up for a wedding to be held that evening:  
 
I don't know exactly which job this uniform designates, but I want it.  A couple of these guys do not look pleased about having their photograph taken.  Don't wear those ridiculous outfits, and I won't take your picture. 
 


 
Judging from this guy's get-up and demeanor, I think someone in the wedding party has Indian mob ties.  

Later, we went down to the "special Christmas buffet" prepared for us by the hotel:  
 
Don't be fooled by the way it looks.  It was gross.  Except for that salad.  That I liked.  

 
Close up of the turkey fat ring on the outside.  Can you see it?  It's almost an inch thick!  

Later, our bellies stuffed with what can only be described as "turkey fat loaf", we met up with Indian Santa (aka Creepy as Hell Santa).  

 


 
Alex's son Krish (my former neighbor) with Creepy Santa.  See how scared he looks?  Santa had to pull his cheeks back to make him look happy.  
At the end of the evening, we had a problem with the bill (imagine that).  The hotel staff was offering everyone a 50% discount.  We wanted to pay full price for one buffet, but zero for the other.  It seems simple, but....
 
WelcomMustacheMan: "I'm going to say no, but I want to stand here and pretend to consider the request.  Sound good?" WelcomLady: "I don't know what we're talking about."  

 
Matt: "It is a simple request.  Add these two numbers together, and then put it on one bill." WMM: "I understand, sir.  I just don't want to do this because I don't like making people happy." WL: "Loud noises!"

 
Andrew: "But sir, it's Christmas."  (Long and very dramatic pause) WMM: "Oooohhh, allll riigghhtt."  

 
Yay!  Now everyone's happy!  Well, except for that nervous guy.  But he's like that all the time.  

Thus ends the tale of the Blue Christmas in Baroda.  The unit was shut down 12 days ago for a "six day planned shut down."    I wish I could tell you that Matt fought the good fight and the unit is up and running again.  I wish I could tell you that - but road life ain't no fairy-tale world.  He never said it wasn't back up yet, but we all knew.  Things will go on like this for a while - road life consists of routine, and then more routine. Every so often, we'll have another shutdown.  And that's how it goes for us - this is our routine.  I do believe these last two weeks were the worst for us, and I also believe that if things go on this way, this place will get the best of us.  -Daily (modified) Shawshank quote.  







2 comments:

  1. The guy in the 1st picture is totally checking Matt out! What a creepy Santa, might as well not have one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, that's not Matt! That's Andrew! But yeah, he is totally checking him out! Probably just jealous of his frisbee skills.

    ReplyDelete