Friday, May 6, 2011

Flashback

I have been having some pretty severe India flashbacks recently, which are exacerbated by the dozens of Indians staying at our hotel.  I'm sure they are nice people, and I have nothing against them personally, but hey, I've already stayed at a hotel with Indians.  For eight months.  Also, this hotel has kitchens in every room, which is nice, but unfortunately, they are not very well ventilated, so whatever anyone cooks floods the hallways (and elevators and lobby) with the smell of whatever they cooked.  In case you weren't aware, Indians like to cook food - curries to be exact.  They like to cook it in their hotel-room kitchen.  Again, I will stress that all of this is fine and I have nothing against them cooking or curries in general.  What I do have a problem with is the curry smell that floats under my door and through my walls, permeating my dreams and giving me nightmares of Baroda.  I think I have PTSD.

Further enhancing my flashbacks are the photos my friend Dori sent me from our scavenger hunt party we attended shortly before we left.  I love the pictures, but am having a pretty severe reaction on a mental/emotional level just looking at them.  Maybe some people just aren't cut out for Gujarat.  Maybe I'm one of them.
 
Me, Ken (Dori's husband), and some other lady whose name I don't remember posing for one of our scavenger hunt pictures.  We had to take a picture of all of us in an auto.  Not sure if the driver needed to be there or if he just wanted to be included.  If I had to guess, I'd go with the latter.  

 
Us with one of the front entrance guys at the hotel. (Another mandatory scavenger hunt picture.)  I actually really liked him.  Once, he had a questionable mole or tumor or something cut off the back of his neck.  I know this because he wore a bandage around for a while and I finally had to get a translator to explain what happened.  On a lighter note, check out that mustache!

 
With Ronald.  Classic.  

I'd also like to mention (in case I haven't before) that my team came in second in the scavenger hunt.  Matt's team came in first.  BUT one of his team member's lived right across the street and had most of the items on the list already.  So he wins, but we'll put an asterisk next to it.  Matt 1*, Cait 100 (I'm counting all the things I win against him in life.  Like Boggle, Scrabble, Taboo, reading, writing and arithmetic, etc).  
 
Us celebrating our victories.  We look good in Indian accessories, no?  (The answer is no.  We don't.) 

In other news, Sunday is Mother's Day, and you know what that means:  Six Flags Great America!  Matt and I have made a semi-tradition of going to Six Flags on either Mother's Day or Father's Day for the past few years.  It's awesome because there are no lines, so we can ride the Superman as many times as our stomachs will let us!  More flags, more fun!





No comments:

Post a Comment