Monday, May 9, 2011

Why Don't We Do It Off The Road?

Well, I guess it's as official as it's going to get, folks:  we're coming off the road.  I'm sure most of you know this, but for those of you who don't, Matt has taken a job in Tech Services with UOP in Des Plaines, which means no more full time travel for us.  We just signed a lease on an (amazing) apartment in Evanston, and we are in the process of becoming all domesticated and crap.  

Sorry if this is a surprise to some... we've been talking about it for a while, but Matt didn't want to say anything before it was set in stone.  (A task which, as you can imagine, was a little too much for me.  I told a lot of people in Arkansas right off the bat, but I waited until we started looking for apartments to say anything to anyone else.  See, I was kind of good.)  I guess signing a lease means we're locked in.  Oh boy.  If you are sensing that the tone of this posting is neither overjoyed nor excited, then you have judged it correctly.  I commend you.  Neither of us was really ready to stop traveling, but we felt like we didn't really have a choice.  Scratch that;  we DID in fact have a choice:  come off the road, or go spend at least a year (probably more) in India on another assignment.  In Gujarat, to be exact.  Just a couple hours away from Baroda, but from what I understand, immensely worse.  The living conditions there are supposed to be pretty terrible, and more importantly, there is no big expat women's community to see me through those long, hot, lonely, depressing days in which I'm filled with bitter resentment toward UOP, Matt, Indian people, curry, rats, cows, trash, dogs, etc.  

Soooo, obviously we're not cut out for more Gujarat.  We'll let someone else handle that while we set up shop in our awesome new rehabilitated vintage apartment in the beautiful and lively community of Evanston!  I've promised a few of you some pictures, and of course I'm not one to go back on my word so...
 
Here is our new living room!  I especially love the built-in shelves around the fireplace.  And plenty of room for our friends and family to come visit us!  (This was not the case with our old Park Ridge apartment, in case you've forgotten.)

 
Dining room, with a view into the living room and sun room.  

 
Sun room.  This is bigger than it looks in this picture... there are two extra windows and more floor space. Probably big enough for me to do yoga in the mornings so people walking by can stop and watch!

 
Isn't this the cutest little bathroom you've ever seen?  (Emphasis on cute.  And little.)

 
Pretty good size kitchen with...

 
A Butler's Pantry!  How quaint and fabulous.  
Anyway, the bedroom is a normal size, but there are two big closets for all of our sundries, and we have a storage unit in the basement of the building.  Cha-ching.  See, I can get excited about this when I want to.  One more "surprise" (I've already told most people about this, too... Don't tell me secrets.  I can't be trusted) for us:  After three long years, (filled with many trials, lots of screaming and some wrestling matches that make WWE look like child's play) we are finally going on a honeymoon!  (I bet you thought I was going to say we were splitting up, didn't you?  False.  We are in a very happy and stable marriage.  I promise.)  After about two days of deliberation - mostly researching cheap tickets - we have decided to go to Spain!  We leave Monday.  It is going to be amazing.  In the words of Alberto, our Spanish co-worker from India:  "I think dis is de best."  

So that's all my news.  Don't be too jealous about the apartment - you are all more than welcome any time.  Even people I don't know who might be reading this.  Feel free to come over.  I'm not a good cook, but my husband is.  He will hook you up with a fresh meal and a... warm bath?  (Obviously I haven't entertained in a while.  I'm not sure what to offer people anymore.)  And don't fret about our amazing, fantastic, wonderfully incredible honeymoon to Espana either.  Soon and very soon I will be back in America looking for a job.  Back to reality.  Or, as Nate so lovingly put it "living in reality for the first time."  Thanks, brother.  

 
This is us.  We are about to be grown ups.  Maybe.

P.S.  This is not an April Fool's joke.  That would just be wrong.  
P.P.S.  I'm not pregnant, nor do I plan on becoming pregnant in the next 1+ years.  Stop holding your breath.  

  



7 comments:

  1. Love the apartment, its beautiful! Can't wait to see it. When do you move in? We have a minivan still if you need help moving.....ok so I'm not a super helper currently with lifting but I can drive! :D So let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I 2nd Angela, love the apartment!!! I will be coming over for some of Matt's cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3rd... Love the apartment! This wasn't a complete shock, but I was shocked a bit! You totally mislead us with the second part. I really thought you were going to say your were pregnant! LOL Congrats on the new home - be expecting us for a homecooked meal when we come back. I'll buy... Matt fix? Deal. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey roomie! I hope you are ready for me to show up at your door with all my bags like a college kid coming home for the summer (dirty laundry included). In exchange I will attempt to make Thai food if (a) I can remember any of the recipes and (b) I can find the right ingredients. The chances of either of those things happening are slim so maybe I can find a good take out place nearby. Have fun on your much needed belated honeymoon!! Can't wait to see pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, guys! We won't move in until after we get back from Spain... probably around the 30th of May. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! (Not that we have that much stuff...) Mary, did you really think I was pregnant?! No way - I could never keep that a secret! Danielle, I am fully expecting you to teach me Thai cooking. I will search the ends of the earth for an Asian foods store.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also thought you were going to say you were pregnant even though I knew you weren't. I would have called you a liar. Off to look at plane tickets to come stay in your sunroom. I'm assuming it's available.

    ReplyDelete