Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Scuba Steve

Before I get into my description of my epic scuba diving adventure, I'd like to share with you a few minor India details.

  • I broke down and went to the new branch of FabIndia today.  It is much, much smaller than the one in Mumbai, but still relatively fabulous.  I bought nothing because after paying half of the balance on our carpet, we are kind of short on cash.  I'm not allowed to go to the ATM, due to reasons.  (Actually it's due to the fact that Matt gets per diem in rupees which are very hard to exchange into dollars, so I have been told to "wait it out" repeatedly on the money situation, as we will get a plethora of cash shortly.)
  • While at FabIndia, I met a lady expat(riot) who invited me to the big weekly lady expat meeting next Tuesday.  We exchanged phone numbers, and she promised to call later with the time and location of the meeting.  We'll see.  I don't want to get too excited because I think I may have inadvertently given her the wrong phone number.  I'm still pretty excited, though.  I like expats.  Sometimes they drink a lot.  That's about the extent of my knowledge of expats.  See, sometimes shopping does pay.  
  • I have decided to take the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) while here in India.  I looked it up online, and I think I can take it in Ahmedebad, which is only a couple hours away.  I haven't actually decided on a graduate program, or decided what I would like to study in graduate school... or decided if I even want to do graduate school or if I should just man up and get a job... but I figure studying for and taking the GRE can't hurt.  Well, it could hurt a little, I guess.  Especially if I don't do well. 
Anyway, I will keep you posted on the above happenings.  In the meantime:
 
                                                                                                 Photo by Mary P.
Kat and me in all our scuba gear.  Matt says I look good with my equipment.  I think he's running out of compliments.  

We did, in fact go scuba diving on our ExTRA trip.  I was told (and I kind of figured) that it wasn't the best diving trip ever, due to the bleached out coral and lack of fish, but it was still pretty awesome. (Sorry, I lied about the sharks and the sunken ships.  What can you do?  Sometimes I lie.)  Just breathing underwater was an incredible experience, as was trying to swim with flippers.  I'd never actually done that before, and I wasn't very good at that part.  I was good at the breathing, though.  Not to brag, but I've known how to do that for ages.

Anyway, we did see some cool stuff underwater, but I don't have any pictures of it.  We saw loads of jellyfish, of which I was initially terrified, but then grew to love after I got to dribble one on my hand like a basketball.  Also, I caught a fleeting glimpse of a seahorse that my instructor pointed out, which was pretty rad.
 
                                                                                       Photo by Danielle S. 
After diving, we stopped at this island for a breather.  No big deal, just a pit stop at one of the most beautiful places on the planet.   

Aside from diving, we also took an island-hopping trip to a few random islands off the coast.  No big deal, just visiting three or more exotic islands in a matter of hours.  All in a day's work.
 
                                                                                      Photo by Danielle S.
Hong Island

As a part of our island-hopping package, we got to go snorkeling (always a good time) and sea kayaking!  I'd never been sea kayaking before, and it was really fun, but definitely more taxing than I was prepared for.  I think maybe all that beach laying made my muscles start to atrophy (also not getting much protein or nutrients in general in India might be a factor).  On our sea kayak trip we went from Hong Island (above) to Hong Lagoon (below), which we had already visited once at high tide.  
 
                                                                                     Photo by Danielle S. 
Hong Lagoon, pre-kayak trip. 
By the time we got back to the lagoon in our kayaks, it was a dramatically different sight.  Almost all the water was gone, and there were hundreds (probably) of starfish lying around!  

 
                                                                              Photo by Danielle S.
Mary and I got a big kick out of the starfish.  Please excuse my hair.  It knows not what it does.  

Anyway, so that was about the extent of our Krabi extravaganza.  I know, I know, it was amazing and beautiful and possibly the best place on Earth, but fear not, it wasn't all fun and games.  I got violently ill on the longtail-boat ride back from island-hopping.  By violently ill, I mean I just got really insanely nauseous but didn't actually throw up.  See, it wasn't all good.   Anyway, I know this is long, and for that I apologize.  

1 comment:

  1. I think I need to stop reading yours and Mary's blog, it's making me very depressed. Please go back to writing about India only!!!

    ReplyDelete