Friday, November 26, 2010

THANKSGIVING

While our Thanksgiving this year wasn't quite as wonderful as I had hoped, it still beat the pants off of last year!  We may not have had football or the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade... or beer... or wine... or turkey... but it was still pretty fun, all things considered.  Mr. Faiyaz at the hotel hooked us up quite nicely with a whole menu of delectable treats made especially for us!  I even met with the chef to plan the menu, never mind that he left out most of the stuff I asked for (cranberries and apple pie, to name a few).
 
Our specially printed menu.  Seriously, Faiyaz told me they had these cards specially printed up for us.  I don't know if that was extremely necessary, but it was a nice touch.  I mean, look at that cornucopia overflowing with delight!  And that sun setting ever so gently behind the mountains.  You've outdone yourself, India.  

It was really interesting to have so many people from other countries celebrating our traditional American holiday.  We had four "American" Americans (Ben, Matt, Carrie, and little old me), and then several other "non-traditional" Americans, as well as some plain old Indians, and Alberto, the Spaniard.  I don't think any of the others really grasped the concept of Thanksgiving... they just know it as the holiday for gluttony, which is basically what it is anyway.  Of course I made everyone to the whole "what are you thankful for" thing, but most of them just said a variation of what I said, which I guess means my answer was the best one (also, I went first, so that might have something to do with it).
 
International Thanksgiving

As far as the menu went, it wasn't traditional Thanksgiving fare by any means, but we did have some "normal" stuff (corn and mashed potatoes), along with a bunch of, shall we say, non-traditional courses, such as "chicken sausages wrapped with bacon rashes" and "silky brocooli soup".  By far the two stars of the evening were the roast leg of lamb, and then whole chicken with "bacon stuffing" which they made me carve at the table.  Yeah, I'm that much of a badass.  For desert we had caramel custard (flan) and shahi tukda (your guess is as good as mine) which wasn't half bad.  When all was said and done, I was feeling slightly disgustingly full, which I think is a mark of a good Thanksgiving.
Obligatory head shot.  Matt is refusing to shave his face until they put VGO in the unit... they just shut down again today, so it could take a while.  I'll keep you posted.  

In other news, I went to yoga yesterday, and while we were doing our sun salutations, the lady next to me let one rip.  Seriously.  I know that downward facing dog can be a little strenuous, but can't you hold that in?  Apparently not.  Later, during our relaxation meditation, she fell asleep and started snoring.  Needles to say, I hope she doesn't come again.

No comments:

Post a Comment